Juvederm Pre-Procedure Instructions
A few simple guidelines both pre and post-treatment can make a difference between a good result and a fantastic one.
- Avoid taking Aspirin, Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS) such as Motrin for 5 days prior to procedure.
- Vitamin E, Fish Oil, Ginko Biloba, St Johns Wart, Ginseng, and Garlic 7-10 days prior to the procedure. These drugs and herbs may cause excessive bleeding or bruising.
- Eat at least 1 cup of fresh pineapple or pineapple juice for 3 days prior to appointment. (the enzyme it contains can help prevent bruising and swelling)
- Arnica Montana (found at any health food store) as directed will also help prevent bruising and swelling and is highly recommended.
- Avoid dental procedures including cleanings 2 weeks before and after injections.
Juvederm Post-Procedure Instructions
- Avoid excessive heat such as saunas, hot showers, the hot sun or cooking over a hot stove. This may cause the blood vessels to dilate and cause more bleeding and bruising.
- Avoid strenuous exercise after the procedure. This may raise your blood pressure and pulse causing more bruising and swelling.
- Avoid direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time. Wear sun block to protect your skin. Sunlight may cause permanent discoloration after bruising.
- Avoid drinking alcohol for 24 hours after treatment. Alcohol may cause the blood vessels to dilate and cause more bruising.
- If lips are treated avoid straw drinking immediately after your treatment and for 2 weeks.
- No massages of the area treated or with face in a massage cradle for 2 weeks after treatment.
- Avoid taking Advil, Vitamin E, Ginger, Ginko, Bilboa, Ginseng, and Garlic for 2 weeks after the procedure since this may increase the risk of bruising. You may shower and do most other regular daily activities.
- Do not apply Make-up after the procedure for 12 to 24 hours.
- You may apply cold compresses or ice to the treatment sites to reduce swelling and bruising if instructed by your provider.
- We recommend Arnica Montana pills or gel to prevent bruising these can be purchased in our office or at any health food store.
- Note that any bumps or marks from the extremely small needle sticks will go away within a few hours. If you do develop a bruise it will resolve like any other bruise. There is occasionally some mild pain, swelling, itching, or redness at the site of injection similar to most other injections. Redness may last for 1-2 days, rarely longer.